A) To introduce the idea of using our bodies to create specific balances
B) To understand what a good balance looks like
C) Students to create their own balance, with a partner, and name it
D) With a partner, create a 5-balance routine and perform the routine to a short piece of music
1. Warm up and stretch
2. Introduce idea of balancing our bodies in certain ways
3. Model “Tree” pose, a yoga posture requiring balance and concentration
4. Handout worksheets and explain task for the day
5. Work with a partner at simultaneously creating balances of; a bird, a table, a chair, a candle, and to create one balance of their own and name it
6. Discuss with one another how these balances can be aesthetically improved upon
7. Establish an order in which they will perform these balances and practice their timing
8. Record, on their sportfolio worksheets, how well they did at each balance and draw stick figure illustrations of what their balance looks like
9. Teacher to take picture of each group doing their favorite balance to later be glued on to their sportfolio worksheet
10. Play short Cirque Du Soleil piece and have students perform their 5 balances in a repeating pattern for the duration of the song
11. If time permits, have 2 or 3 groups on the mats performing for class
The lesson went well and was organized. I would have taken more pictures of each group and showed the pictures to them. Seeing pictures of themselves doing balances is an effective way to get them to determine how to better angle themselves during the balances in an effort to improve. Please see video of routine as well as examples of student work.
1/19/2012 03:59:28 am
I really liked this idea of teaching balances. The repeating pattern works perfectly into my math lesson and the short piece of music offers a nice framework for the students. I am going to try it out in my grade one classroom tomorrow. Thanks for the easy to follow plans!
4/18/2016 06:53:07 am
Just tried this lesson with my grade 4 class. It was really fun and everyone succeeded. Thanks!
Leave a Reply.
KAUST Faculty, Pedagogical Coach. Presenter & Workshop Leader.IB Educator. #RunYourLife podcast host.