A) The students will learn 6 partner balances and practice these balances safely.
B) The students will look at pictures of themselves doing these balances and compare to exemplar pictures shown on Smart Board making necessary modifications and adjustments.
C) They will create a sequence of 3 partner balances to be repeated in a pattern in a final routine (to a short piece of music)
1. We will revisit the central idea for the unit and practice individual balances previously learned.
2. Using photographs taken from my gymnastics unit at my previous school, I will introduce partner balances to the students.
3. Safety will be discussed and students, in pairs, will find a safe spot on the mats in their own space. Emphasis being on finding enough space to be sure that they land on the mats if they fall.
4. First exemplar partner balance put up on Smart Board (see slide show for these balances). Body position and best points of support discussed.
5. Students practice this balance. When ready, they ask me to take picture. I show them the picture and they compare to exemplar on Smart Board. They identify what needs to be improved upon and make necessary adjustments.
6. Steps 4 and 5 repeated for all 6 partner balances.
7. All 6 partner balances are posted on Smart Board. Students must select three balances for their routine deciding upon the order. They must practice this order minimizing unnecessary movements.
8. Music is introduced and they practice more.
9. Perform routines to students at end of class.
This lesson was organized and went very well. The timing was right. Perhaps having them infuse individual balances in with partner balances would have made for more variation.
KAUST Faculty, Pedagogical Coach. Presenter & Workshop Leader.IB Educator. #RunYourLife podcast host.